January 2020 Round Up and Favorites

January was a good reading month for me.  I only got through 12 books, but I have also been trudging my way through David Copperfield, and am finally about half through. I am not loving it, but for some sentimental reason I am determined to finish, I keep thinking he needed a strong editor who could have cut half the book - blasphemy I know. 





My favorites this month:


I Am, I Am, I Am by Maggie O'Farrell - This is a book about her 17 brushes with death. O'Farrell has had a tremulousness life, and she lays it all bare in this book. Her prose are beautiful. She might be my favorite new (to me) author, after really enjoying The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox last year, I am excited to read more from her this year, and let her language and cadence wash over me.


Jacquline Woodson's Red at the Bone is a close second favorite of January. Like O'Farrell Woodson's writing is something that I just love to sink into and devour. Red is a book centered around a family, and their unique roles in each others lives. All of the characters stand strong and are shaped well. You might not like them all, but that does not take away from the story. A bonus is the references to the Tulsa massacre that shape the family, but in which they grapple with how much does it shape an individual.




This months other reads, who should read them, and my 1-5 💜 rating:


When They Call You A Terrorist - Read. Everyone in the US should read this. It is an important back ground to the woman who helped start the Black Lives Matter movement, her life and how the police have effected her and her family. (5 💜)


Giovanni's Room - For the classic readers, Baldwins writing is as ever poignant and atmospheric. (4 💜)


The Library Book - For people interested in the history of libraries, particularly the LA county library. I was a bit thrown as it has been promoted as more of a true crime about a fire in the library, but that story really takes a back seat to the general history of the library. (3 💜)


Trail of Lightning - For the dystopian reader who also likes a bit of myth, and magic. This is an bit of controversy surrounding this book because though Roanhorse is of Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo background, she writes as a Navajo character. Please take this in mind as you read. There is a bit of action, and some well done world building, this is to be a series. (3 💜)


Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead - Good for fans of Britt Marie, if not a bit more elevated in language, and much darker. This is a great book if you like unique stories, with character who don't usually get a voice. (4 💜)


No True Believer - For the modern YA lovers, and the Edward Norton fans. This books tackles Islamaphobia, hacking, family dynamics, and the love of friends. (3 💜)


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - For the people who like to know what everyone is talking about, this book was a huge hit last year, focused on the golden age of Hollywood, a poor girl who made it, and all the secrets she holds. I found if you already have read Daisy Jones by the same author, this book could be a bit of a let down, as she seems to use all the same writing gimmicks here. (3 💜)


Aphrodite Made Me Do It - This is sold as a poetry story. Some of the pages are short one liners that you might see on Instagram, but the author has a way with words, and an interesting and powerful take on who Aphrodite was and what she represents. (4 💜)

How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed - For people who love a great title. Drakulic is a journalist, and this collection of essays gives an in depth look into the lives of women in Eastern Europe in the 1980-90's. It is heartfelt, interesting, and leaves you thinking about your own life, and advantages. (4 💜) 


Follow Me To Ground - For: fans of Jenny Lawson. This is her first book club pick. This is as surreal as you would think it would be. The descriptions are on point, and it is a quick read. (3 💜)



Sneak Peak at my February TBR pile: 

It is Black History month in the US, so focusing on Black authors, and I also hope to finish Copperfield- only 450 pages left to go! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chaotic Reviews Armada by Ernest Cline

Galore by Michael Crummey

David Levithan's Days